Wedding season is in full force for us over here, and I’m starting to consider myself kind of a professional wedding guest. I’ve gotten a lot of practice from all the weddings we’ve been so fortunate to attend, and I’m good.
Small talk at the reception? Got it. First on the dance floor to get the party started? Here I come (dragging Sheldon behind me). Drinking champagne? Oh you know I’ve got that under control.
I love weddings. As a married lady, it always brings me back to my own wedding day and experience and I’m just so pleased to see those I care about embark on the same journey. I also know how much work goes into every bride’s wedding day, so I am SO appreciative of that!
One of the highlights of going to a lot of weddings is getting to wear a lot of pretty dresses (yay, shopping)! I love getting a pretty lace dress for a garden wedding, but was definitely a little more stressed out last year when our first invite to a black tie wedding came in the mail.
Formal attire is a little different here in California. We’re an overall casual state, but I know black tie means dressed to the nines — full length formal gowns and sparkly jewels. Don’t get me wrong, I loved it, but I didn’t really know where to start.
Formal dresses can be super expensive, so I definitely didn’t want to buy a dress for several hundred dollars that I would only wear once or twice in the next few years (that was only okay when I purchased my wedding gown)! I thought I would write this post to give some guidance to those of you out there that need to get the black tie wedding look without breaking the bank.
Rent the Runway
How it Works:
- Select a rental period (4 or 8 days)
- Select a dress (in your size AND a back up size). I recommend reading the reviews and looking at pictures of other people in the dress included in the reviews. Find women with a similar build as yours to use as a reference for sizing.
- Optional: pick a replacement dress for an additional fee
- Order, wear, and return in prepaid garment bag/label the day after your event!
- Designer dresses on serious discount
- You get to order a back up size of your selected dress
- For an additional fee, you can order a back up dress of a different style
- Tons of options for switching up your style
- You don’t get to try on your dress! A little nerve-wracking
- No alterations can be made (think heel height when selecting a dress)